Complete English Notes

11/12 and Bachelor Levels' Complete English Notes

Total Page Viewers

Welcome to My Blog

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

English Notes. Let's Learn and Share Together.

English Notes- By Shishir Gyawali

English Notes- By Shishir Gyawali
Let's Learn & Share Together. (Click on the photo for my Facebook contact.)

Sunday 30 January 2022

Causative Verbs




In English, some verbs make, have, get, let, help, persuade, etc. can be used as causative verbs. They are used in the sense that somebody or something causes somebody/something to do something by asking, paying, requesting or forcing the person.

But here we discuss have, get, make and let only.
HAVE
(To give someone the responsibility to do something or to ask someone to do something or to pay someone to do something)
Structure 1: Subject + Have (Any Tense) + Object (Agent) + V1...
Examples:
He had his brother wash clothes.
She had her friend take her photographs.
I will have my teacher check my notes..
We have had our principal solve the problems.
Structure 2: Subject + Have (Any Tense) + Object (Thing) + V3...
Examples:
He had his car washed.
He will have an essay written.
I will have my notes checked.
We have had the problems solved.
GET
(To convince someone to do something or to trick or persuade someone to do something)
Structure 1: Subject + Get (Any Tense) + Object (Agent) + to + V1...
Examples:
Ram got Shyam to clean the bedroom.
He always gets me to do his work.
I got my father to buy some copies.
I will get my sister to cook meat tomorrow.

Structure 2: Subject + Get (Any Tense) + Object (Thing) + V3 . . . .
Examples:
John got his car washed.
He always gets his work done.
I will get meat cooked tomorrow.
I got the rooms cleaned. 
MAKE
(To force someone to do something)
‘Make’ is stronger than ‘have/get’. It constitutes only one structure as it does not take anything ‘passive’ as its object.
Structure: Subject + Make (Any Tense) + Object (Agent) + V1. . .(Active)
Structure: Agent + Be Verb + made + to + V1...(Passive)
Examples:
Hari made me beat that little child.
She will make me prepare her homework.
I made him wash my car.
Our principal made us take a class in break time.

Note: According to the grammar rules and structures, there are other more similar verbs that are not causative verbs by definition, but they constitute similar sentence structures.
LET
(To allow someone to do something)(The weakest Causative Verb)
(If the purpose is to express a more formal sentence, the verb ‘let’ can be used. With the use ‘let’, we have to use to + verb.)
Structure: Subject + Let (Any Tense) + Object (Agent) + V1 +. . .
Examples:
Ram let me use his mobile.
The teacher let his students go out.
My best let me use his mobile phone.
My father always lets me go out at nights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank your for visiting my blog. Let's learn and share together.